background

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Patriotism


This week for Veteran's Day I shared America's White Table by Margot Theis Raven. As I read the story from a powerpoint, students created the image using a school desk as the table. After all, soldiers were once students and the time may come when children who are now in my classes will enlist in our Armed Services. During the presentation respect for our family members and friends in the military was palatable in the library.

The children are making postcards for me to send to an Army battalion in the state of Washington. One of our new teachers used to be with that battalion and knows how hard it is for young volunteers to be away from home during the holidays. We appreciate the opportunity we have to lift their spirits and share our gratitude for their service.

I grew up learning patriotic songs and was surprised when so few children recognized the words to "My Country 'Tis of Thee", even with our country's symbols and music being part of the school curriculum. My third graders were amazed to hear the song and the fourth graders tried to sing it with me.

The eagle painting at the top of the post is one I painted a few years ago for my husband.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you Patti. I live near Joint Base Lewis McChord so I have many military friends and I know how hard it is for families to be separated during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the patriotism you share with your students and the eagle painting is fabulous!!! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Patti! That's amazing they don't know those songs. Good for you for introducing them.

    ReplyDelete